Sunday, June 26, 2011

Katy Perry Bravely Gets All Divulging About Healthcare

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."  G.B. Shaw


Katy Perry, who as I understand it is a pop recording star with masterworks like "Ur so Gay" and "I Kissed A Girl" to her credit, is totally brave. She was interviewed for the Special Summer Double Issue of Rolling Stone magazine and, in addition to assuring the world that she's for gay rights and that she's a gay rights activist ("I say that proudly") she boldly came out for free healthcare. “Anyway, not to get all politically divulging and introspective," she said, "but the fact that America doesn’t have free health care drives me f*cking absolutely crazy, and is so wrong.” Thanks for not getting all divulging, Katy.
     But, as they say on TV, that's not all! Perry went on: "I think we are largely in desperate need of revolutionary change in the way our mindset is. Our priority is fame, and people’s wellness is way low. I say this knowing full well that I’m a part of the problem. I’m playing the game, though I am trying to reroute."


(It's true, Katy. Every morning -- before I've even opened my eyes -- I send up a little prayer for more fame. "Please God, I pray, make me famous! And screw the wellness of the little people.")



     In spite of the fact that she knows she's part of the problem and is trying to "reroute", whatever the hell that means, forgive me if I don't for a moment think that Perry drives down to the intersection of Santa Monica Blvd. and Highland Avenue in Los Angeles every morning to give away some of her millions to the day laborers standing on the corner looking for work. My guess is, admitting she's part of the problem is enough work for one day and just how far do you expect her to go? 


     According to the Best Reviewer website, La Perry's net worth is around 15 million and she earns approximately $130 a minute. (The Since you arrived on this page at 3:46 p.m. Katy Perry earned ticker is mesmerizing!) And, forgive me again but anyone who thinks healthcare should be "free" needs to get a clue about what "free" means. Especially when it comes to governments. I mean, if that's the case, why shouldn't groceries be free, or shoes or tickets to Katy Perry concerts? Dammit, why do we have to pay for anything at all in this fame-obsessed nightmare we call America?


I guaran-damn-tee you that three hours in a dingy, antiseptic-smelling clinic somewhere, waiting for "free" healthcare would give Katy pause: "Mmmmm... maybe we could come up with a different system where I could pay if I want to and just the icky people would get the 'free' care...?"



     Maybe I'm being too tough on Katy. After all, she's had her share of trauma and heartache -- and from an early age: “I started praying for [breasts] when I was, like, 11,” she said. “And God answered that prayer above and beyond, by, like, 100 times, until I was like, 'Please stop, God, I can't see my feet anymore."

P.S. Fearing that I was being too harsh on someone of whom I have only a passing awareness, I listened to a bit of "Ur So Gay" on iTunes and discovered that the first two lines of "Ur So Gay" are: "I hope you hang yourself with your H&M scarf, while jacking off listening to Mozart."  Brilliant. Cole Porter is applauding in heaven. Even taking into account the fact that she's not addressing a gay person in the song; and even assuming the whole song is supposed to be "ironic" -- why would I take her seriously about anything?  No, I have no qualms about mocking Katy Perry.

No comments:

Post a Comment